[University home]

School of Physics and Astronomy

3.10 Student Ill-Health and Assessment (16/17)

(a) It is a requirement of your registration with the University of Manchester that you register with a local medical general practitioner (GP). A list of GP practices can be obtained from the Student Health Centre, any University hall of residence or a local Pharmacy.

(b) You should always consult your GP (or for emergencies the Accident and Emergency Department of a hospital) if you are severely ill, if an illness persists or if you are in any doubt about your health. You should also consult your GP if illness keeps you absent from the University for more than 7 days including weekends. If you do consult a GP and they consider that you are not fit for attendance at the University, then you should obtain a note from the doctor to that effect or ask them to complete Part III of the University form 'Certification of Student Ill Health' copies of which are available at local GP surgeries. You should hand this certificate to the School Office at the earliest opportunity.

(c) If your condition is not sufficiently serious to cause you to seek medical help, then the University will not require you to supply a doctor's medical certificate unless you are absent from the University due to illness for more than 7 days (in which case see (b) above). You must however contact the School Office as soon as possible and self-certify your illness (that is complete and sign the Temporary Interuption of Study Form to state you have been ill) as soon as you are able to attend the School. You should do this if your illness means you are absent from the University for any period up to 7 days (see (d)(i)) or if you are able to attend the University but your illness is affecting your studies (see (d) (ii) and (iii)).

(d) The following sub-paragraphs explain what you should do if your illness affects your attendance at compulsory classes or examinations, or if you consider that your performance in assessments has been impaired. The School's Mitigating Circumstances Committee will consider such submissions if they may affect a student's progression or any examination result; see section 8.1 for more information.

(i) If you are unwell and feel unable to attend the University to take a compulsory assessment or examination then you must seek advice by contacting the School Office immediately, in person, through a friend or family member, by telephone or by email. You must do this as soon as possible, and certainly no later than the day of your compulsory class, assessment or examination, so that all options can be considered. If you do not do this then you will normally be considered to have been absent from the class without good reason, or to have taken the assessment or examination in which case you will be given a mark of zero. You must also complete and hand in a "Certification of Student Ill Health" form stamped and signed or a doctors note on your return.

(ii) You may be unwell but are able to proceed with an assessment or examination and yet you feel that your performance will have been impaired. If you wish this to be taken into account as a mitigating circumstance, you must inform the School Office about this on the day of the assessment or examination and hand in to your school a completed "Certification of Student Ill Health" form. If you leave this until later it will not normally be possible to take your illness into account when assessing your performance.

(iii) If, as a consequence of your illness, you wish to seek an extension to a deadline for submitting assessed coursework, you must complete a "Certification of Student Ill Health" form and discuss it with the appropriate course lecturer or tutor. The application for extension must be made BEFORE the deadline and not retrospectively.

(iv) You may be under occasional and ongoing medical attention which affects your studies. If so, you should obtain a letter from your GP which should be given to the School Office before the end of January, May/June or August/September examination period, as appropriate, if you wish your condition to be taken into account as a mitigating circumstance.


(i) If you are found to have been deceitful or dishonest in completing the Certification of Student Ill Health form you could be liable to disciplinary action under the University's Conduct and Discipline of Students Regulation XVII.

(ii) The use of the "Certification of Student Ill Health" forms by GPs as described above has been agreed by the Manchester Local Medical Committee. A GP may make a charge for completing the form.